Are you feeling overwhelmed?
I am not gonna lie, I know I am! I am a mom! A stay-at-home mom and a homeschooler. I have a million different things running through my head every single day and every second of it that I can’t seem to just stop. And my poor family, they are the ones who truly suffer from it.
Am I proud of it? Nope! Why do you think I feel overwhelmed? Because I am not happy with my own self. I want to become different, to change, to be better for them. I want to do it all! Sounds familiar?
But the fact of the matter is, it is nearly impossible to be everything. At some point of our lives, we have to choose. We have to decide who are we going to be. We have to determine what really are the most important things in our life.
I have been asking myself these same questions and so I came up with the following solutions, that I myself have been working on implementing in my own life.
So how do we do it? Where do we even start to finally get rid of OVERWHELM and take control of our own lives?
Well, first things first! What we really need to do is to just…
- Stop! Wait what? I know it may sound like a no-brainer but how can you start or re-start if you don’t stop first? Put the brakes into those million things swirling around inside your head that makes you feel overwhelmed! Just do it! And then breathe… Take the moment and give yourself some time to find your inner peace again. I promise it will feel good!
But if you think to yourself that that’s a waste of time and that you’d rather be doing something right in that moment so you can get something done. Just think about this, If you are driving to go somewhere and your mind is flying miles away because you have so much going on, then you realized you are lost. What is the first thing you think you will be doing before you correct your course? Stop, right? If you find yourself in a heated argument with somebody and thought, what the heck Am I talking about? What do you do after? You stop. If there’s a sudden emergency and panic strikes right away. How are you going to handle the situation? Yup! You have to stop. Just stop running around in your head! You see my point right?
In the midst of all the chaos, the only way we can emerge from it, is to STOP. Be still. Listen. Let your body, your emotions and your mind calm down. And that, is when everything will become clear. Then solutions will start to present itself. Try it!
- Re-assess or re-evaluate your current priorities. You now realized that what you had going on before doesn’t work. So it’s time once again to go back to the drawing board, well in this case, to your pen and paper and really figure out what are your most important priorities. What are the ones or who are the people you want to keep if everything else fails? Who do you want beside you? Who do you want to serve? What do you want your purpose to be? What do you want to be? Or who do you want to be?
Whenever I feel overwhelmed, I know because I can’t seem to get ahead of anything. It makes me want to just drop everything, to forget everything, to freeze. And I’m afraid. I’m afraid that I am failing. And I don’t like that feeling! Who wants that feeling ever? No one. This is when I start asking myself those same questions above. And funny enough, my answer is always the same. My kids, my husband, my family matters to me more than anything. So, my priorities and goals should reflect that.
- Set new goals. Our goals are what drives us to keep going. Our goals serve as our direction. The bigger our goals are, the more motivated we are to do something. The more disciplined we become and the less overwhelmed we feel. Why? Because we know for sure what we want, why we are doing it and where we are going with our lives.
- Create new habits and daily routines. Out with the old, in with the new, right? You have re-evaluated, you have set new goals, it only make sense that you also create new habits so as to avoid falling into the same rut you were once or twice before. If you stick to your old habits, what do you think will likely happen? That’s right! Eventually the unwelcome feeling of OVERWHELM will slowly resurface again. And we don’t want that! We want better! We want control of our lives not the other way around.
So, how do we even begin to create new habits? The best place to begin is to have a plan of attack. Then start scheduling things. Or maybe you don’t like being tied to a schedule, in this case, create a routine. Create a routine of your new positive habits. Just do it! Do it slowly, one step at a time and eventually you and I will get better at it. This is something I am still working on, you see. Because we all know, change doesn’t happen overnight. But slow, steady action-taking steps will get us there in time. The idea is to just get started which is often the hardest thing to do. But just take that first step, and the ball will keep on rolling.
If you need help with scheduling or planning, check out the planners I created. It may be something that you are looking for and it’s completely FREE if you subscribe.
- Take action! In the beginning we talk about STOP. We want to halt OVERWHELM in its track. Now, it’s time to get a move on! Start taking actions once you’ve gone through and accomplished steps 1 to 4. This step is very important once you are ready, because if you wait too long it becomes harder to get re-started. So, don’t wait! Get rid of OVERWHELM once and for all and regain CONTROL of your life again! I am right there with you! We can do this together!
So what about you? Have you ever felt overwhelmed? What actions did you take to get rid of it and take control of your life again?
I hope you enjoyed this post!
If you like it and have found it helpful, please share it to somebody who needs to hear it. And don’t forget to subscribe to receive latest updates and follow us along in our journey.
Thank you for stopping by!
And get instant access to my library of FREE resources which currently houses our themed learning packs, planners & inspirational quotes.